Monday, August 20, 2007

Glutamate Receptor Conference Continued


The type of different cultures and how they affected the type of science being done was also intriguing. I had just a few stories and adventures in Alaska that I have been through and I got to hear about other different cultures that are sometimes quite similar. Arturo Orega, conference organizer, asked me about the Equinoxs and was testing me by stating "was there only one or two in a year", but I was ready since in Alaska the sun is quite important and proceeded to answer correctly that there is two and we celebrate them, even the summer solstice with the midnight sun run. Another fellow presenter, C. Aquirre, told me about the mayan ruins and equinox story. How during the spring equinox at the mayan ruins a snake shadow appears. It was truely interesting and intriguing, such that I had a street artist produce this picture of a mayan ruin with a large setting sun in the background. It just seemed the right thing to do at the time and I videoed the making of the picture, even with the flame he used to dry the photo. Which after the hurricane I will try and get to post on you tube. It was truely a revealing and interesting conference even with the hurricane breathing down our necks we became friends and learn alot of new information and cultures.

No comments: