Sunday, February 17, 2008

Alaskan Valentine's Day


Valentine's Day is unique up here in Alaska, since we have such ingenious people and the beautiful scintillating Aurora. Someone had this ingenious idea to paint blue hearts along the walk from the dorms to lower campus, with an intermittent I Love You in the middle. Then in the big square in the middle of the campus a huge Heart around ten feet wide was filled in with initials MF. What a cool Alaskan gesture of love.

That is such a cool neat gesture of love and caring, you just smile and feel warm inside. Just like some of the people up here in Alaska, who help you when you need it and give advise if you ask for it. A friend told me to stay strong and true to myself and someone will come along who believes the way you do. Don't change your big and caring heart and bend to the crowds expectations or lost desires. It has not been easy when you have excellent hearing and overhear people's ridiculus conversations of not having the facts and just speculation. You wish they could spend that time asking questions and finding out about that person. I should practice what I preach, because I get nervous and start talking about myself instead of asking questions. This I have been trying to change and the first step is feeling comfortable with myself and stop trying to prove my worth. True people will accept you as you are and not try and change or manipulate you to what they want in life.

After watching Across the Universe at the Pub and listening to the song Hey Jude with the lyrics telling Jude the need for being too cool is gone and to let someone into your heart, was really poignant in my life right now. I was riding my bike home and rode right by someone that I had meet back when I had become Belle of the Woods. Hey Jude was singing in my head and I stopped and said Hi. We talked for a while and the Aurora started its beautiful flowing dance across the sky. It was flowing undulating right above us and it was nice to let my guard down for a while, enjoying the moment.

The spaceweather forcast for the night was pretty promising with the earth being in a coronal mass ejection and the interplanetary magnetic field pointing south, it looked like the aurora would be undulating in the sky for hours. So we loaded up the car with another friend and lovable dog, and off on a road trip up to Ester dome. That is part of why I love Alaska is the spontaneity of the people and nature herself. You never know what will happen next in the land of extremes. With my telescope out we got to see the shadows in the craters of the moon, while the aurora was undulating and shifting shape and form above. The dog named "buddy" keep running back and forth like a horse having a great time being able to get out and have some fun, like us humans.

The sky was not yet done revealing its beauty and there was this really neat shape forming. Taking a chance and leaving the shutter open for over 1 min 1/2, the shot was finally there, capturing a beautiful moment in time. The form is shaped like a women looking over her shoulder at you. I have seen forms of eagles, busts of a women's head, and even music note shapes, but never one like this being seductive and scintillating. Nature, she was revealing her own valentine gift.

No comments: