Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Hurrican Dean Winding Down


It was close to noon and the wind was scouring my bare legs. The hotel was around the corner and I didn't want the raw power and excitement to end. If I didn't get back Kelly and Tulasi would start worrying about me and we need to stay together. After fighting the wind on the windward east to west bound street, I made it to the hotel and the bellman looked at me like I was some crazy gringo. There were ropes across the front door and I had to knock and have him let me in. I went up stairs and Kelly and Tulasi were working way and were happy I was safe. I changed into jeans and tried to go back out through the service entrance, but the manager had been watching me and made this crazy gringo go back to the room. The government had ordered everyone indoors and not to be out in the storm. They even had stopped all liquor sales in the grocery stores and restaurants. I would have thought you would want people a little relaxed with a beer than being all keyed up, but there are a few percentage that can't handle their alcohol and would hurt themselves in the storm. I have never been in a country where there was so much control of direct commerce sales by the government.

They finally let us out around 2:00 pm, so I headed out towards the Mayan archeological museum. The buildings were works of art with arches, turrets, and beautiful strong color. The Spanish truly influenced the Merida architecture. There were sculptures everywhere along the street, bounded up with protective coverings from the storm. I didn't exactly know the street number, but didn't care because the sky was so crisp and blue which is a photographers dream photo shoot day and the wind was still blowing but with a lot less intensity.

There was building that I came up to and it was a piece of architectural art with beautifully women face sculpture that looked a little like me and there was a bench to sit upon, so I sat down and relaxed.

No comments: