Friday, September 7, 2007

Hurrican Dean Winding Down 2


I looked down the way and saw a sculpture of a domino and it reminded me of playing dominoes with my grandfather. I then saw an old man get on a neat bike, that had been sitting on a bench near me, I asked him where was the Mayan archaeological museum. He said "I was sitting in front of it". He asked me were I was from and he proceeded to tell me he lived 50 years in Cordova, Seward and Valdez Alaska. He had retired to Merida and started up a special Modiva fruit farm. He wanted to know about edible flowers and I told him they have them in supermarkets now and I know someone at our botanical gardens that was talking about using them as an experimental crop.
It was almost like the Mayan tradition of rebirth was happening all around me and I was talking to someone like my grandfather. He also had sat out in the hurricane, in front of the Mayan museum, and knew something was going to happen. We continued talking about Alaska and then he must have felt comfortable and proceeded to tell me a romantic tragic story of his life. He had meet his wife in Cordova Alaska and fished with her on her father's boat. They hit it off and he had to run the gamut with his father, which consisted of going into the water a few times. I know how cold that water is by falling myself in a few times sailing in Seward. When you fall in you wish you could walk on water and try and get out as soon as possible. It shocks you first and once you get over the shock you have to force your limbs to function and get the *&(&(&* out of the water, but once you have conquered one of your worst fears it gives you a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment.
Well he passed the test and they got married a few years latter and tried to have children. His wife couldn't have kids and so they adopted. They were the best years of his life and his daughter moved out and was going to college at UAA when tragedy struck. She was driving in Anchorage and lost her bearings and drove off the top of a hill and rolled her vehicle down the embankment. She was lost to him and his wife forever. His wife never recovered from her loss and regressed into a vegetative state, he feed her and bathed her for 20 years. I thought about would I be strong enough to do this for the one I love and I didn't even take a second to think of yes I would. It is who I am, and hopefully some day I will find that type of love again and stop being lonely. I told him about loosing my family 10 years ago and I understood his pain. This trip was almost a cleansing of the heartache and pain, that I would allow my self to feel again. I told him about how important truth and honor are for me being in a relationship, which has driven some people away. He told me they were afraid of finding such a good person or that they thought I deserved someone better than themselves. That just talking to me for an hour, he thought I was one of those special human beings that would help anyone and I will find someone strong enough someday to enjoy life like I do.
He opened up his hand made painted box on his bike and showed me pictures of his native wife and daughter. They were beautiful and had the twinkle of life in their eyes. He had no regrets about his life and told me to cheer up and my life was in a cycle of rebirth, because of the signs life was sending me of sitting in front of the Mayan archaeological museum and experiencing the hurricane at the monumento a la Patria. He told me he doesn't show these pictures to usually anybody but he felt safe with me and saw that I was truly listening to him.

No comments: